LAN Services / UPNP not working

Use GeeXboX for Wii the Right Way
Edwin

LAN Services / UPNP not working

Post by Edwin »

Hi,

I'm having issues to enable the lan services and upnp servers. My wifi connection is configured and seemsto work (pingable from another device). I enabled http/telnet and discover upnp in /etc/network but none of them seems to work. So i have no http response, can't establish a telnet session and my upnp server isn'tshowing up. I tried the geexbox livecd on a normal pc to make sure my upnp server is compatible and there it shows up. So that seems to be okay. I also tried to give it fixed network settings instead of dchp, but that also gives the same result.

Any idea/tips?

config:
wii (around 2 years old)
The Homebrew Channel 1.0.6
geexbox mini 0.1beta2
upnp server: synology
BootMii public beta 4

Kind Regards,
Edwin
farter
Site Admin

Re: LAN Services / UPNP not working

Post by farter »

You probably want to use a USB keyboard and boot into debug mode to check whether wifi actually works on the Wii side.

Then you could go on to debug why those services fail to work properly.

If you dont have a USB keyboard, you could at least check these in your IP/router configuration GUI:

Does Wii MAC show up in Devices List as stably connected ?

Did you happen to disable access to LAN ports from WIFI devices ?
Fartersoft minus the soft part.
Edwin

Post by Edwin »

Booted in debug and wifi looks okay. I can ping all my devices in my network. I have no firewall, etc.active on my internal LAN. Tried the upnp a/v from other devices whihc works okay.

How can i debug the upnp services?

Any other tips/tricks i could verify?

Kind Regards,
Edwin
farter
Site Admin

Post by farter »

Are telnet and http services working now? If not, you should debug these first. Corresponding scripts are in /etc/init.d.
Edwin

Post by Edwin »

They weren't, when lookin in the script in /etc/init.d and running them manually it seems that the variables are empty and therefore the services not loaded. Any idea what could cause that?

When i load automount_upnp from the cmdline and start geexbox i see the upnp a/v devices.When trying to view a divx of around 700 mb and 1,5h i see a lot of dropped frames. When viewing the same directly from the SD card, performance is good. I noticed this also mentioned on the main page that wifi performance is poor, any idea if a usb/lan connection will work beter or if the performance of the wifi will be improved in the future?
farter
Site Admin

Post by farter »

Edwin wrote:They weren't, when lookin in the script in /etc/init.d and running them manually it seems that the variables are empty and therefore the services not loaded. Any idea what could cause that?
Most likely, you have messed up /etc/network.

Edwin wrote: When i load automount_upnp from the cmdline and start geexbox i see the upnp a/v devices.When trying to view a divx of around 700 mb and 1,5h i see a lot of dropped frames. When viewing the same directly from the SD card, performance is good. I noticed this also mentioned on the main page that wifi performance is poor, any idea if a usb/lan connection will work beter or if the performance of the wifi will be improved in the future?
If you don't need transcoding, simple Windows or Linux network shares provide better performance than uPNP because the uPNP client in GeeXboX consumes a lot of memory.

Wifi speed is currently about the same with USB 1.1 lan speed in IOS version, but the latter costs far less memory and cpu.