Black screen after trying to load Geexbox

Use GeeXboX for Wii the Right Way
fretflyer

Black screen after trying to load Geexbox

Post by fretflyer »

I've been a user of Geexbox on my Wii for about year now with great success. No problems. Until a couple of days ago.

I am running a Western Digital 1 TB External Hard drive from the usb port. I click Geexbox and the dvd drive flashes blue once and the screen goes black. I replaced everything on my sd card with a backup from a time when everything worked. No change. My hard drive reads fine on my computer but my wii won't read it at all. I've tried roddries mplayer and it doesnt find my device. Either does wiiXplorer. Plugged in a different hard drive and it found it. So yeah, my hard drive isnt working on the wii...any idea why or what I can do to fix? I realize this may be a little out of the Geexbox scope but I was hoping someone could help me out, I definitely can't afford another hard drive right now. Thanks.
farter
Site Admin

Re: Black screen after trying to load Geexbox

Post by farter »

You can try plugging the USB HD after geexbox has been successfully loaded.
Fartersoft minus the soft part.
andy01q

Re: Black screen after trying to load Geexbox

Post by andy01q »

I've had the same problem several times and many solutions worked or did not work.^^
First: If you have connected the Wii via a SCART-Switch to the TV, the Geexbox has never correctly started, while any other devices where in the SCART-switch, no matter if they were powered or not.
Second: Patience+Lots of Trial and Error help in most times. Things that have helped are
- starting the homebrewchannel, waiting about 20 seconds, than load the Geexbox
- disconnecting and reconnecting the Wii from the Powersocket
- Loading a Wii-Game (sometimes a genuine one, sometimes a safety-copy) and rebooting the wii)
- Try with or without a genuine Wii-DVD in the Wii (as soon, as the drive blinks the loading of the Geexbox has usually failed)
- Start with or without the Nunchuck connected to the Wii-Mote.
- inserting the SC-Card after/before the Wii has initially booted.

Well, in most cases the Geexbox works for me, but I would'nt say it has been very reliable.^^